The PTHS National Honor Society
"The mind of the scholar, if he would leave it large and liberal, should come in contact with other minds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Membership in the National Honor Society is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a high school student. The Pemberton Township High School district has a chapter of the National Honor Society. Membership is based on the student’s outstanding achievement in scholarship, service, leadership, and character. The student must be a member of the school community at least one semester prior to applying.
The applicant must complete the Student Information Form. Evaluation forms will be completed by teachers, administrators, and school counselors to attest to a candidate’s leadership and character qualities. Discipline records of each candidate will be reviewed. A selection committee, composed of faculty members, will review all information and discuss each candidate before voting. A student selected for membership must participate in a formal induction ceremony to become an official National Honor Society member. In order to remain a member of the National Honor Society, students must abide by all chapter-by-laws and maintain the criteria for admission. The student must also be considered in good standing.
Students meeting preliminary grade requirements will receive a letter notifying them of their eligibility for membership. The following criteria must be met to be considered for admission:
1. Scholarship – A student must be a junior who has a regular (Non-weighted) cumulative grade point average of 3.25 or higher.
2. Service – A student must demonstrate commitment to varied activities within his/her school and community. Services activities are those which benefit others and for which students receive no form of compensation. Students must participate in a minimum of four (4) school-sponsored activities per year of school attendance. In addition, the student must also earn 40 hours of community service per year of attendance or the equivalent total for years in high school.
3. Leadership – A student must demonstrate leadership qualities in and out of the classroom. The student who exercises leadership:
• Resourcefully solves problems, applies principles, and makes suggestions
• Demonstrates initiative in academics and school activities
• Positively influences peers by upholding school ideals
• Contributes ideas that improve the civic life of the school
• Effectively and fairly delegates responsibilities
• Exemplifies positive attitudes and inspires positive behavior in others
• Successfully holds school offices or positions of responsibility
• Displays reliability and dependability
• Leads in the classroom, at work, and in other school or community activities
• Values scholarship and maintains a loyal school attitude
4. Character – A student must demonstrate the “six pillars of character”: respect, responsibility, trustworthiness, fairness, caring, and citizenship. In addition, the student of character:
• Takes criticism willingly and accepts recommendations graciously
• Exemplifies desirable qualities of behavior (cheerfulness, friendliness, poise, and stability)
• Upholds principles of morality, honesty, and ethics
• Complies with school regulations concerning property, programs, office, halls, etc.
• Displays courtesy, concern, and respect for others
We have posted the application & essay prompt in our NHS Nominee Google Classroom. All applicants are required to complete the essay as part of their NHS application. The applicant classroom code is: ruqim3e
We will be providing all applicant information through the NHS Nominee Google Classroom.
Please consult the eligibility letter you received for further information.
Don't forget, the application is due on March 17, 2023. Copies of the application and essay prompt are posted on the Classroom as an assignment for you to complete.
If you use the links on this page to access the essay and application, you must be logged into your Pemberton Google account to access the documents. In addition, you must make a copy of the documents to edit them.